Hong Kong/China (31/12).   The South China Morning Post reported the accused had their bail denied. The Hong Kong courts are taking increasingly a hardening stance against terror incidents.

A remote-controlled bomb allegedly built by a school laboratory assistant Chui Tin-lok, and two accomplices to injure police officers during protests was capable of being detonated from up to 50 metres away, a court heard on Monday.

The Tuen Mun Court heard that Chui Tin-lok, 27, who worked at SKH St Simon’s Lui Ming Choi Secondary School in Tuen Mun, purportedly made the radio-controlled explosive with unemployed Kwan Ka-yiu, 27, and electrical technician Freeman Ho Kin-chung, 40, on the hillside of Siu Lang Shui Road on Saturday. All three men were denied bail on Monday.

At the time of their arrest, police said the suspects were testing explosives that were were intended for use at mass protests, but it was unclear which chemicals or explosives were involved as the bombs had been detonated.

Prosecutors on Monday said the bomb might have been set off from up to 50 metres away by heating up a metal coil that was immersed in an unknown chemical. They said the police thought the device had considerable power because the men had shields, helmets and bulletproof vests for protection.

According to the prosecution, the bomb was part of the suspects’ conspiracy to unlawfully and maliciously wound Hong Kong police officers with intent to do them grievous bodily harm.
The three Tuen Mun residents were charged with one count each of making an explosive substance and conspiracy to wound with intent. They were not required to enter a plea in their first court appearance because the police needed more time to examine the seized device and the defendants’ mobile phones.
The men will be remanded in custody until their next hearing on March 30, when they could face additional charges after the police investigation.